Sunday, March 25, 2007

Mary Janes

The delectable treat Morrison had so vividly described in The Bluest Eye was somewhat of a let down. It is that way often with literary pieces. Because there are words being used in written descriptions and not tangible items or audible sounds, the reader is allowed a range of interpretation. With each individual perspective this interpretation is different and as such when one is faced with the actual item previously described, it could be rather shocking. I find this also to be the case with movies.

Moving back to the original subject matter of this journal- from the moment I peeled away the little yellow wrapper I knew what was coming was not what I had expected. As the narrator described Mary Janes to be peanut buttery I was looking forward to a pleasant treat when Ms.Chiang brought them in. However, my mental assertion of what Morrison described was far from what I tasted. After unwrapping the Mary Jane I took notice of the candy's light honey nut color and taffy-like texture. When I slipped a small piece into my mouth my taste buds were a little, confused to put it lightly. The peanut butter goodness they had been expecting was quickly replaced with an actual horrific slimy oily taste. Something just was not right, I know my peanut butter and I also know this is not how it generally tastes. Maybe I have been spoiled by conscientious investigating of most food substances or maybe I am just me, or both yes I realize both is quite likely.
As I had started to say, further exploration led me assurance in my prior belief. This candy was loaded with artificial ingredients. If one is aiming for a peanut butter flavor, it seems only right that peanuts be the main ingredient. To my unfortunate surprise, corn syrup outweighed peanuts in this treat. Being an old fashion confection I expected more, or less really of the bad ingredients used in its making. Mary Janes are loaded with trans fats, for a small adorably adorned and embellished outside, these candies sure do pack an unwholesome punch as far as nutrition is concerned.

1 Comments:

At 4/04/2007 11:24 AM, Blogger Richard Day said...

ur big words frighten me misia!! u have to large of a vocabulary!

and its really freaky that when i started reading this post i started smelling mary janes! *runs and hides under bed* lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home